Liverpool A-Z - notes on text

 

i There is a gravestone in St James’ cemetery near to the entrance that is a memoriam to a Charlestonian sea captain who died in Liverpool during the American Civil War (1861-1865).Charleston was a key centre for the Confederate cause and cotton cargoes were run out of Charleston and stockpiled in Liverpool early in the war, despite the Yankee blockades.

ii Two duelling figures are occasionally seen at the corner of Percy Street in the early hours of New Year’s Day, according to various taxi driver reports.

iii Esmedun is the original name of the brook that used to run into Toxteth forest in the 11th Century. The road close to where the brook ran is now called Smithdown. Parts of St Clare’s church on Arundel Avenue are considered to originate as early as the 11th Century, at which time the area lay within the control of Roger of Poitou.

iv The Pump House at the Albert Dock was used as a sail makers premises after the 1914-1918 Great War. Sometimes army service was offered as an alternative to imprisonment.

v St Luke’s Church in Leece Street is a shell damaged memorial to the Liverpool Blitz.

vi This stone is next to Booker Avenue Junior School on Booker Avenue and marks the arrow stone for archery practice. This practice was mandatory for generations after the great victories of the English against the French in the Hundred Years War were due to English mastery of the longbow. Mastery of the longbow requires regular practice from early childhood.

vii During the depression there was desperate competition for any work at all and men would queue for the chance for a days work on the docks or in warehouses.

viii There are reports of a ghostly nun who appears only when the room is being cleaned in an ex-convent building now part of a university.

 

ix The birthplace of William Ewart Gladstone, three times Prime Minister, in Rodney Street commemorated by a National Heritage blue plaque.

x St Peter’s church in Seel Street built and consecrated for Roman Catholic worship in 1788, now a bar.

xi Washington Street used to be in front of the Anglican Cathedral where Cathedral Gardens now exist. There were a number of streets running downhill to the top of Great George Square. They were mostly Georgian buildings and had been built for the accommodation of sea captains. They were condemned in the early 1970’s and demolished. New housing was built on the site in eh 1980’s.

xii The Gallows Mill used to be at the bottom of London Road where St George’s Hall now sits. The three mills were also called White Mills and there used to be a pub of that name on the corner. Four of Bonnie Prince Charlie’s supporters were captured and tried at Preston after the failed rebellion of 1746. They were jailed in Liverpool and hung at Gallows Mill. They were some of the last people to suffer capital punishment in Liverpool.

xiii This story is located in Hunter’s Lane in Wavertree, which is near to the site of the Bronze and Stone Age remains found in Wavertree Park (known as The Mystery).